Life on Silverhill

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Cotton Mystery Solved!


Well, this is something I never thought I would be able to say - I'm spinning cotton! A dear Fiber Fanatic buddy gave me a gorgeous walnut support spindle, and - will wonders never cease - I am actually able to spin cotton on it! I had tried in the past on a wheel, and got nowhere. I once sat with an expert cotton spinner (boy could she do a beautiful long draw) for a couple hours trying to learn, and I was a total failure! My friend Kelli supplied the final piece to the cotton spinning puzzle yesterday, when she suggested that I try spinning the spindle with my right hand and draft with my left (I usually draft with my right hand). Well, that did it! The cotton spinning mystery has been solved!

OK, so now I can spin cotton. So that leaves me with.......cotton thread. Hmmmm......not exactly sure what I will do with it. However, it's great to have a new skill, and I am hoping I can spin on the support spindle while we drive across the country to our new home (whenever that may be!) That is, if our furry little travelling companion will allow it!

2 Comments:

  • Hip Hip Hurray! Glad you figured out how to use the thing.
    Enjoy it!

    By Anonymous Doris, at 9:17 AM  

  • Congratulations on your cotton spinning success! I've never tried spinning cotton, but hope to some day.

    Shelly

    By Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly, at 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home